Houghton Township, Michigan
Houghton Township, Michigan
|• Supervisor||Mel Jones|
|• Clerk||Carol Jones|
|• Total||517.42 sq mi (1,340.11 km2)|
|• Land||120.72 sq mi (312.66 km2)|
|• Water||396.70 sq mi (1,027.45 km2)|
|Elevation||630 ft (192 m)|
|• Density||0.68/sq mi (1.76/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626493|
Houghton Township is a civil township of Keweenaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The township consists of a portion of the Keweenaw Peninsula and also the northeastern half of Isle Royale, which makes it the northernmost municipality in the state of Michigan. The population was 72 at the 2020 census, which makes it the third-least densely populated municipality in the state.
- Central was a settlement around the Central Mine founded in 1854. It was largely settled by Cornish people. It got a post office in 1871. The mine closed in 1898 and the post office was closed in 1906. It then became a ghost town although the Methodist Church was maintained and descendants of the former residents would make annual trips back to it at least until the 1970s.
- Eagle River is an unincorporated community in the township.
- Eagle Nest
- Rock Harbor is an unincorporated community in the township on Isle Royale
- Vaughsville is an unincorporated community in the township.
According to the US Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 517.42 square miles (1,340.11 km2), of which 120.72 square miles (312.66 km2) is land and 396.70 square miles (1,027.45 km2) (76.67%) is water.
Due to its surrounding water boundaries, it ranks as the third-largest municipality by total area after McMillan Township and Eagle Harbor Township, although Houghton Township has the largest water boundaries of any municipalities in the state.
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 204 people, 45 households, and 26 families in the township. The population density was 1.7 per square mile (0.6/km2). There were 273 housing units at an average density of 2.2 per square mile (0.9/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 58.33% White, 36.76% African American, 0.98% Native American, 0.49% Asian, 0.98% from other races, and 2.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.90% of the population. 16.5% were of Finnish, 10.6% English, 9.4% Irish, 8.8% Italian, 6.5% German and 5.3% Norwegian ancestry.
There were 45 households, out of which 13.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.1% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.2% were non-families. 42.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 17.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.89 and the average family size was 2.54.
The township population contained 51.5% under the age of 18, 13.2% from 18 to 24, 9.3% from 25 to 44, 16.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 18 years. For every 100 females, there were 385.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 167.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $28,750, and the median income for a family was $41,250. Males had a median income of $32,500 versus $21,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $8,505. None of the families and 7.0% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 9.1% of those over 64.
- "U.S. Census website". US Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Houghton Township, Michigan
- "Michigan: 2010 Population and Housing Unit Counts 2010 Census of Population and Housing" (PDF). 2010 United States Census. United States Census Bureau. September 2012. p. 28 Michigan. Retrieved September 3, 2021.
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. p. 107.
- Google (October 9, 2018). "Houghton Township MI" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
.michigan .gov /documents /CGI _COUNTY-v4 _KEWEENAW _COUNTY _125232 _7